Buying a house can make dreams come true! The Holt Team, specializing in the greater St. Louis and St. Charles County areas, makes sure getting in that new home isn’t stressful or challenging. We work tirelessly to make buying a house stress-free and seamless, and simplify the process so you can spend time on what’s most important to you. Throughout your experience, we inform you during each step and thoroughly explain the details; we help you understand every form, protect your rights and ensure the safety of your information.
As you’re thinking about buying a house, this simple guideline will give you an idea of the process–but don’t worry–we do most of the work for you; you get to focus on the fun stuff!
The BIGGEST piece of the buying-a-house puzzle is BUDGET. Before you start visiting houses, we can help you consult a lender to get a Pre-Approval Letter. This is different than a pre-qualified letter. It is specific to you and your financial situation leaving no question as to what you can afford. This ensures you will be looking at homes within your lender-approved budget, so when it’s time to make an offer, you won’t get passed over by someone who is already pre-approved. We never want you to buy a house you can’t afford either. We will help you decide on the specifics and negotiate to your benefit.
New Home Features
List your “must-haves” in a home and those that are “wishes” to help narrow your search. Don’t be surprised if this list changes as you start your search.
- Age of Home
- Fixer Upper or Turn-Key
- Location(s), know the zip codes for MLS searching
- Square Footage
- Number of Bedrooms/Bathrooms
- Kitchen Amenities/Appliances
- Garage Size
- Finished/Walk-out Lower Level
- Professional Landscaping
- Outdoor Lighting
- Guest Suite
- Wooded Lot
- Size of Yard/Grassy Area
- Neighborhood Bylaws
- HOA Fees/Rules
- Community Amenities
- School District
Making an Offer
Once you’ve found THE house and want to make an offer, we will help you write an accurate offer based on comparable properties in the area and the state of the home. Again, this is where our expertise comes into play–we know the intricacies of what to look for in the house when considering a price.
Time to Finance
Once the offer has been negotiated, your lender gets involved to ensure you get the right mortgage so you can buy the house without the stress of a payment that is too high. Print out the following tips and keep them handy so when it comes time to work with your lender, you have a few ideas to negotiate.
- Tip #1: Paying down points at closing will lower your interest rate and can be an enormous savings over the course of a 20 or 30 year mortgage.
- Tip #2: find out if your lender allows biweekly payments. This shaves off thousands of dollars of accrued interest over the life of the loan, potentially turning a 30-year mortgage into a 25-year mortgage.
- Tip #3: Stay in control of spending during the closing process. Extra spending can hinder your credit and change everything.
- Tip#4: When the lender or Title Company asks for information throughout the “waiting” process, and they will, get it to them or us quickly. This will ensure an accurate closing date.
- Tip #5: Decide whether to “joint title” your new home with your spouse or create a beneficiary deed. This can save time and fees at a later date.
Wheels in Motion
Throughout the entire process, The Holt Team is working behind the scenes to order and be present for inspections, surveys, negotiated repairs and title work. We will set up closing details and organize with the seller’s agent utility transfers and be present for the final walk-through. Final closing, keys in hand…Success!
Congratulations on buying your dream house! At closing, you will receive a Custom Holt Vendor Directory complete with vendors we know and trust who can care for your home and personal needs, and may be a benefit to your business as well. This list is updated and shared annually. We continue to stay in touch and hope to bring value to your life. We will occasionally send you industry information and invitations to our Client Appreciation events, and reach out on those special days like birthdays, anniversaries and holidays.
Contact The Holt Team Today
If you are ready to start your search with expert agents who are honest, dependable, and committed to you, contact The Holt Team today, 636-229-8581, and let us help you buy your forever home! Click on our listings page to see what we have available, or input your detailed criteria and zip code, and the MLS system will narrow your search in preparation for our first meeting. You can even save your searches and receive updates when new listings that meet your criteria hit the market.